Saturday, June 19, 2010

Im a guy with long hair and my employer says I may have to cut it- anyone ever deal with this issue?

My hair is above my shoulders, and I got a job at the airport - the recruiter says that I will have to cut my hair as it cannot touch my shoulders - anyone ever deal with this issue at work - did you have to cut your hair , its not even that long, and why is it ok for women to have long hair tied up neatly and not men? I dont understand.



Im a guy with long hair and my employer says I may have to cut it- anyone ever deal with this issue?

I deal with it all the time as an employer. You have to consider that the employer and the company want their employees to look professional what ever the job is. If there is a way for you to look professional without cutting your hair, you should present that to your new boss and see what happens.



Im a guy with long hair and my employer says I may have to cut it- anyone ever deal with this issue?

It's all about professionalism and projecting a positive image for the company. Unless it's a religious reason (a valid one) or if it's related to a medical concern, your employer has the right to request you alter your appearance. Of course, it can't be a discriminatory or unfair request to make.



For women, it can be okay depending on the job because women are accepted with long hair. Men, usually aren't accepted in a professional realm with long hair. It's just not seen as appropriate.



If I were you I'd cut it...it will increase your chances to advance and succeed at your job. You want people to remember you for positive things you do and not for your funky hair.



Im a guy with long hair and my employer says I may have to cut it- anyone ever deal with this issue?

I used to have hair down to my waist and while I've had a few co-workers make inferences that I was gay. I have never had a supervisor tell me to cut it.



My immediate supervisor asked me if I was playing in a band, I said yes and he said "Oh, I thought so." and that was the end of it.



I ended up cutting it cause I stopped playing in a band and also cause I wanted a different look. My hair is still probably as long as yours.



My female co-workers all thought that I was forced to cut it and the majority said that I was being discriminated against.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
noton